- More than 1 billion people-approximately one in six-lack access to safe drinking water.
- Every 15 seconds a child dies from water-related disease.
- Approximately 443 million school days are lost due to water-related illness
- For children under five years old, water related diseases are the leading cause of death.
- Millions of women and children spend several hours a day collecting water from distant, often polluted sources.
- At any given time half the world’s hospital beds are occupied by patients suffering from a water-related disease.
- 1.8 million children die each year from diarrhea-4,900 deaths each day.
- Every $1 spent on water and sanitation creates on average another $8 in costs averted and productivity gained.
- From Water Partners International: Kansas City, Missouri
Ethiopian Child will be visiting a remote village in the central highlands in the fall.
Access is only by a ninety minute brisk walk from the bus station across a valley. There is a creek in the middle of the valley that supplies all the water for the area. Water must be carried in jugs to the villages for cooking, drinking and bathing.
Please consider sponsoring a small very effective filter That will make as much as 100 gallons of water per day of up to 99% pure water. The filters are small enough we can carry several of them in a suitcase. We can purchase buckets that stack together for ease of carrying.
The filters sell for $60.00. Ethiopian Child is able to purchase them for $50.00. This amount will include a bucket.
Other items we will take to the village are books for children and Bibles in the Amharic language which will be purchased in Ethiopia.
We will be investigating other methods of payment but for now contributions can be made to: Ethiopian Child
1452 Park Shore Circle #3
Fort Myers, Florida 33901